Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2020

... the text for May 20, 2020

[Jehovah] well knows how we are formed, remembering that we are dust. - Ps. 103:14
The Almighty Father gives us only what we can handle. He knows when we need help and provides it.

The comments for this day tell the story of young Samuel who Jehovah used to give a message to Eli, the high priest. Jehovah gave consideration to Samuel's fear, and did it in such a way that Eli realized God was the one calling Sameul, and knew there was something important.

Does that work for me as well? Jehovah knows I can only do so much. I can't just hop in a car and drive somewhere. I'm not the greatest door-to-door preacher, but I still support the group and I do my best to encourage my fellow brothers and sisters.

Samuel's fear was understandable. I myself have had experiences when I was a boy that to this day my parents know nothing about. My stepfather remodeled our bedroom after he married my mom. I was 10 then. The beds were hung on the wall, so that there was space underneath it, with a beanbag chair and track lighting so that I could spend time reading my books. (I read voraciously) The wall paper was of space ship and stars and planets, with a dark blue background.

One night, I lay awake, unable to sleep. I looked to my right at a starfighter zooming across the expanse of space, its engines sputing orange flames. All of a sudden, it moved! It jolted to another spot on the wallpaper! I was terrified. I clamped my eyes shut. I pulled the covers over my head, and I slept the rest of the night. In the morning, I told no one.

For a while, I dreaded sleeping in that bed. I would lie down, and when the light was turned off, I covered my head and slept. Some nights I would stare at the little space ship and dared it to move.

My bed was raised to the level of the window, which was set high on the wall. It enabled me to look out as i lay there and see the driveway of the home next door. The driveway allowed the tenant that lived behind us (we lived in the front house of a duplex) to park their car by their front door. So, I could see any activity that occurred. At six o'clock in the morning, my cousin would start up her VW bug to warm it up while she got dressed. So, the car's slurred clucking would wake me up, and I listened as it faltered its way to a healthy purr.

So, later on, one night I was looking out the window. To the right, I could just make out the street. If a car came or went, I caught a glimpse of it. So, when I was looking, a car came toward us, its headlights bright. It flickered across my window. A second car was behind the first, and I turned to look and the spaceship moved! The mystery was solved. The beams of the headlights of cars that passed were causing optical shifts, making it appear things moved on the wallpaper.

I was so relieved, and I slept peacefully after that.\

I know that story took a tangent, but the thoughts on the text triggered the memory of a young child's fear. But, Jehovah shows consideration for adults too. When we get scared, we imagine the worst that can happen, and it increases the stress potential. So, Jehovah uses wisdom to discern what we are feeling and will do what's needed to get the message across, however it may come. The message is important and it is really a matter of life or death. Jehovah provides it in a way that allows honest hearted people to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment