Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2020

.. the text for May 2, 2020

Welcome one another just as the Christ also welcomed you. - Rom. 15:7
Eph. 2:12 said that we "had no hope and were without God in the world." With Jesus' sacrifice, he "opened" the door so that we could be with God and become part of Jehovah's universal family. If Christ welcomes us imperfect, miserable humans, we return the favor by welcoming all who desire to know Jehovah. Divisions, forcing people to stay in their caste, racial prejudices, looking down on people who have less than you; all these attitudes are prevalent in the world. But, we are no part of the world, as we have come to know Jehovah, and we need  not be influenced by it.

 Rom. 3:13 foretells that the world's terrible attitudes will only get worse. We need to continue to fight the influence which is is everywhere, in social news, movies, television, muisc, books.

I was looking at Yahoo News and saw different celebrities bashing each other. Now, it's newscasters calling each other names and making contemptuous remarks about each other.

One part of the text comments struck a cord: "cultural differences". This struck a chord with me. I was born deaf, but with an aid of a hearing aid, I am able to hear and speak fluent English. But, I'm still deaf. Over the years, I have found that if I chose to take the hearing aid out, I end up offending some because they rely on me hearing them and they can communicate with me. I've joked that my hearing aid is a blessing and a curse: That it lets me hear but then some take it for granted that I can. Sadly, there have been some people that have actually decided for me when I can hear them and when I cannot. I find it funny (in a sad way) when I remark on what people say, and they claim my hearing was "defective," that I didn't hear what they said, when I did hear them clearly.

My real experience:
I went to the hospital because I was experiencing TIAs which is a neural spasm of sorts (layman's terms). I was there for 5 days for testing and observation. At that time, my hearing aid was "in the shop" getting fixed, so I heard nothing. One of the sisters from the congregation volunteered to interpret for me when I spoke with the doctor, and I appreciated that. One night, before bed, a nurse come in to take a blood glucose reading. She pantomimed what she was going to do. I understood, so i nodded to her. The head nurse had told her staff that I was deaf and could hear nothing, so the nurse knew this and went about her business. She uncapped the need to prick my finger and pricked my finger. I said, clearly, "Aren't you supposed to use alcohol before you prick my finger?" Her mouth dropped open. I could see her lips worked, but I didn't hear anything. She was gesticulating at me, and I just stared at her. Then I said, "sorry, I'm deaf and can't hear you, but finish what you were doing." She ran from the room. About ten minutes later, the head nurse came in and took my reading. She had taken time to learn the sign for "pain" and I smiled, thanked her and said I felt fine.
Which of the two accepted my cultural difference? But, we're counseled by Jehovah that we should accept these differences. Many hearing ones learn sign language for that reason. But, in the new system, it won't matter, someone told me. True, but we're not there yet. What about the here and now?

There are times when I don't feel welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment