Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2020

... Matt. 7:12

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.
Notice that this scripture is proactive, not reactive. People know this scripture as the Golden Rule. But, they apply it incorrectly. The common thought is that, "Well, they hurt me first, so I hurt them back." Or "They were kind to me, therefore I'll be kind to them."

That's not what Jesus said. So, to properly apply this verse, you need to tell yourself: If I want a person to respect me or to be kind to me, I need to first be kind and respectful to them. Likewise, if I want people to treat me with disrespect and contempt, then I can treat them that way, and not get angry when I get that response, as it's  a consequence of what I have done.

Most people correctly apply this scripture and it's wonderful to see. In my life, I have discovered that in some cases when I try to apply this scripture properly, I do not get the expected reaction. If I am kind  and giving to someone, or I act amiable and easy-going, they don't treat me the same. They think they can be manipulative and controlling, benefiting themselves at my expense, to "walk all over me" because it's expedient. They believe they can treat me however they like without reprisals or retaliation.

If I, being imperfect, am sarcastic or sharp with others, then they say to themselves, "Man, he acted like that? Well, I am better at it than him!" And they retaliate by being extra-sarcastic or overly mean, as if to prove just how cruel they can really be. They will continue in this fashion until I say, "Hey! I'm sorry!" I guess doing it that way makes them feel special and self-important.

When it's reversed, I do what I can to reciprocate. If they're kind to me, then I will be the kind, knowing that's how they want to be treated. If, through imperfection, they make a mistake or treat me harshly by accident, then I take that into consideration and work to be forgiving and patient with them. When they do it on purpose, they expect me to be kind  and forgiving and patient with them, yet, get angry with me when I respond accordingly myself. I guess that's self-importance again and it's most expedient to treat me however they like with no reprisals or consequences.

I've had cases where I was friends with someone for a number of years, and they know me enough to understand what kind of person I am. When I make one mistake, they, instead of being kind and forgiving and patient, they drop me like the proverbial hot potato and refuse to deal with me any longer. When that happens, and it's clear that they no longer want to deal with me, I respect their decision and limit my own contact with them. I'm not retaliating, however, I'm just being amiable and flexible. If they do something to hut me, and I drop them like it's hot, then I'm the bad guy, a cruel, vindictive person.

I guess I have trouble understand that "it applies to me and not to you", or "it applies to you and not to me." Is that pride talking?

If I state an actual experience, I'd have to provide details that will make it clean who I'm talking about, so I'll keep silent. Jehovah knows who they are and will deal with it in His own time and manner.

Meanwhile, I am still doing my best to apply this scripture, correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment