Search This Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2020

... the ringing in my ears

Since I was born deaf, I can only hear really loud noises. I can take my hearing aid off at a concert and hear just fine. Recently, the hearing aid broke, so I don't hear much of anything, except the dog barking.

Don't imagine that everything is peaceful and quiet. I really have the most horrendous case of tinnitus or commonly known as ringing in the ears.

I had endured this all of my life, and I don't think there's a cure for it. I hadn't looked, anyway.

At first, it would sound like a bomb dropping. It starts at a high whistle, then lowers through the octaves and then stops. No explosions. Other times it's just a comstant sound, like someone holding a key on an organ and just holding it there indefinitely.

Lately, it is more of a hissing buzz. It moves on to static, as if I have the dial set between radio stations. To ward it off, sometimes I play music in my head, but even that is getting on my nerves.

Two years ago, my hearing aid was getting warranty work done, so I did not hear for a week. During this week was a special medley of David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd fame) playing guitar solos. Shine On You Crazy Diamong, Another Brick In the Wall Pt. 2, and other various tunes. I try to switch it up by playing classical music in my noggin, Mozart mostly. But, it doesn't drown out th emonotonous buzzing or motorcyles, static, bombs.

Sometimes the tinnitus provides a counterpoint to the music I'm thinking of, and if there was a way to attach electrodes to my head to hear the music, I'd be famous like Beck or Kraftwerk, who are known for their interesting musical accompaniments. I love them both.

But, I endure. Just ahead will be a time when I won't need a hearing aid, and instead, I'll be putting a pillow over my head to block real sounds of crickets and other nocturnal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment