Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

... the text for April 29, 2020

All things are lawful, but not all things are advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things build up. - 1 Cor. 10:23
It's interesting that a yesterday's text discussed not judging others for their choices. Today basically says: "Your choices can affect others." In considering choices, we need to ask: Does this choice give another person the advantage? Does this choice build up others?

Years ago, an elder I knew would say often in his talks, "If I chose to wear a pinky ring, it's my choice. But, if people are bothered by it, do I force them to accept my choice, or do I show respect by taking it off and putting it  away?" Then he quoted the above scripture.

Yes, we have freedom, but it is relative. We have the right to make personal choices, true. Many do every day. Some may say, "Well, this is the choice I've made. Just accept it and go away and leave me alone about it." Is that necessarily okay?

I really like the point the comments made:
..[today's scripture] helps us to that there are far more important factors to consider than our own preferences...
 The big picture is support of Jehovah's Kingdom. So, before we make any choices (school, work, moving to another area, material things, legal matters, dealing with roommates or renters), we should prayerfully ask Jehovah for HIS thoughts on the matter, considering articles on JW.org and reviewing Bible texts for examples to follow.

Now at this time of the end, nearly nose-dep in the coming Great Tribulation, we should think not only about our own spirituality and preferences, but also on other's spirituality in an effort to build one another up.

No comments:

Post a Comment