Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

... the text for April 27, 2020

It will be difficult for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of the heavens. - Matt. 19:23
The comments on the text today brought back a discussion I had with my grandfather some years ago. He related this to me:
 I like to drive Cadillacs. They're comfortable and roomy. My wife (my grandmother) had a major heart surgery, so she couldn't ride in a vehicle that was rough and bouncy. So, I prefer a Cadillac. When I bought a new one, the brothers complained that I was showing off, and gave me a hard time about it. For years, I put up with it. Then, I turned around a bought a Chevrolet. The brothers gave me a hard time about that, because I was acting pious in having money and driving something cheap. You just can't make people happy,  So, I went back to driving Cadillacs and I ignored what the brothers and sisters say about it.

I like this point in the comments:
We are blessed to have many brothers and sisters, rich and poor,m  who love and serve Jehovah with a complete heart.
 That's the point. Wholesouled devotion is the important thing. It's fine and good to make others happy and ourselves happy, we shouldn't focus solely on that; Jehovah is one we really want to please.. We live in a society where image is so important and we work hard to maintain that image through any means necessary. We buy the right clothes, we have our hair cut in a certain style, we buy the latest gadgets and toys, all of this. why? To get attention. John 12:43 warns that it can be dangerous. While it's not wrong in itself, but it should be balanced with giving proper glory and honor to Jehovah.  (1 Cor. 10:31)

So, we need to be careful not to disparage our fellow Christians for what they bought recently or where they live or anything, because we can't see what's in their heart. But, Jehovah can and will bless or not bless according to what HE finds in there.


Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment